We are experiencing a cold, wet winter but spring is coming! Which means it’s time to start thinking about sprucing up and decluttering your home. Whether you’re thinking about putting your house on the market this year or not, the first impression people have of your house starts at the curb. What are your guests or potential buyers going to say to themselves as they approach your home? Believe it or not, some buyers make a decision to keep on driving just by looking at the outside of the house.
Here are some tips to make them want to come inside:
- Tidy up the outside by removing any leaves, debris, branches, and other yard clutter to make a neat and tidy appearance.
- Pick up any garden equipment, buckets, rakes, shovels, lawnmower etc. and coil hoses neatly.
- Give the hedges a fresh trim, paying special attention to anything blocking windows or getting in the way of walking to and from the house.
- Power wash the driveway, walkway, patio, and deck.
- Neaten and refresh any play areas, maybe some fresh sand in the sandbox, fix any rusted or dirty swings, slides or other playground equipment.
- Spruce up the lawn by cutting, trimming, weeding and fertilizing where necessary. A great looking lawn is key.
- Brighten up the yard by adding some bright annuals in places that could use some brightening, or add a nice colorful potted plant at the entryway.
- Make the garage and front door look as inviting as you can. If you need it, a fresh coat of paint and doormat can inexpensively transform a front door. Make sure the garage is not dented or dirty. Small details make a big difference.